Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Review: Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #1

Courtesy of Dark Horse Comics
If you don't already know, I'm a huge Browncoat.  Yeah, super big.  Like throwing a whole party around the Firefly game.  On New Years Eve.  I turned the year playing the Firefly game while ignoring the clock.  So I was a wee bit excited for the release of Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #1 from Dark Horse Comics.  With the team of writer Zack Whedon, penciller Georges Jeanty, inker Karl Story and colorist Laura Martin, this series continues the story of our favorite Firefly crew nine months after the events of the movie Serenity.



Now, in case you didn't guess, I went into this as a biased reader.  But I did try to be objective.  Either way, I think I would have enjoyed this book.  It was a fun read, well written and covering all the crew we care about, not to mention what's happening with the Alliance after the film.  We all know that Whedon knows the material, so this script fits with the feel of the TV show and film.  I could hear the characters voices as I read their words.  I will say that the story took a little too long to get moving for me but it had a good payoff when it picked up.

As for the art, I give Jeanty a ton of credit for getting the characters down, especially Serenity herself.  That ship had so much personality throughout the show and the entire artist team really bring her to life on the page.  I was also excited to see Inara, who got a bit of a makeover for this series.  This past October at NYCC, among other things Jeanty shared with me the news of her new jacket, which is awesome.

Courtesy of Dark Horse Comics
Now for the spoilers!  No, I'm not going to share any.  This is more of a heads up.  If you haven't read all of the Serenity comics, this issue will be sorta spoilery for those.  I say this in specific reference to the one-shots Serenity: Float Out and the 2012 FCBD Serenity issue (this is free on the Dark Horse website and app!).  You should definitely read those prior to reading this.  If you don't, a really good surprise will be ruined and if you do, the book will be an even bigger win.  If you want to read this issue and haven't watched the show and/or movie, then get off your a** and watch it already!

So yes, for any Browncoat living in the 'verse, this is a must read.  Who knows, if we buy enough issues, maybe we will get an ongoing series?  We've done bigger.


Serenity: Leaves on the Wind is out on January 29th.





Like what you just read? Let us know in the comments below and keep up to date by following us on TwitterFacebook and Tumblr!

No comments:

Post a Comment