Monday, May 30, 2016

5 Wishes for the new Star Trek Show


The new Star Trek series coming to CBS is a big deal. To get ST back on TV where it (arguably) belongs, to see new explorations and social commentary every week is a dream come true. I can't explain how excited and hopeful that I am to see what this will become. But I was still wary to get excited. However, once I saw that teaser trailer a week or so ago, I was hooked. Suddenly, all I could think about was what I wanted to see in the new show.

Here is my top 5 wishlist for the new Star Trek series. 

(Note: I decided to leave the "Continuing Roddenberry's vision" off the list. If his son, Rod Roddenberry, can't ensure that as an Executive Producer on the show, then I don't know who can.)


1. Featured Alien Captain
In all the series, every leading captain has been human. We've seen non-humans as Captains, Admirals, and even the President of the Federation. I would love to see the Captain in this series be non-human. I think it would add story-lines and character development. My one caveat is no Vulcans. That's the natural and predictable choice. Personally, I think an Andorian would be great. We haven't overdone the Andorian people, and they fit into the timeline well. Plus, as a founding member of the Federation, they would definitely have captains with experience.

2. Increased Diversity in Crew and Cast
This may seem similar to number 1 a bit but it's not. I didn't realize how important this was to me at first but this is one Star Trek tradition I want to continue. Roddenberry always tried to cast diversely and it made an impact on every fan. Nichelle Nichols and George Takei broke boundaries as part of the first crew. That continued with the casting of Marina Sirtis, Levar Burton, Garrett Wang, and so on. The list can keep going but I think I've made my point. The cast of the new show should continue to reflect that with actors from all walks of life.  Additionally to the show's cast being diverse, I would like the ship's crew to be diverse.  The best stories reflected the different alien races on the shows, not just the human crew.   

3. Exploring Star Trek History
Throughout different episodes, we heard references to different battles, discoveries and events. Enterprise tried to show how some things really happened but they fell flat, with the exception of the Klingons. CBS is expecting a lot of longtime Trekkies to pay money for a new ongoing series. It would be a nice fan service to see some more of these events unfold.

4. David A. Goodman as Staff Writer
I don't know if you've read his Star Trek books but this guy has this universe down. He wrote Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years and The Autobiography of James T. Kirk. Both are fantastic insights into the universe. Where Goodman lacked details, he seamlessly created and wove in new stories and depth in episodes long past. He would keep the spirit of Star Trek in his writing and in the show. Plus, he already has experienced writing for a weekly show, Family Guy, so that won't be an issue. Please bring him on board and let him loose. I know you won't regret it.

5. Actually see a Future Toilet Bowl
Make a toilet bowl a standard part of the bathrooms please. It was a fun running joke for a long time. By now, even the FCC knows that Everybody Poops.

Bonus Wish/Curiosity: Be very careful with the computer's voice. We can't have Majel Roddenberry voice the computer anymore sadly, so please honor her legacy.


Like what you just read? Let us know in the comments below and keep up to date by following us on TwitterFacebook and Tumblr!

No comments:

Post a Comment